Friday, October 13, 2006

Mannerism..is is and isn't isn't?

After chasing foxes with Jude I spent the morning reading up on High Renaissance and Mannerism in readiness for tonight's lecture. I made the fortunate discovery that several of the heavy art books I've collected over the years are actually quite relevant. What are the chances? Before I knew it, it was eleven of the clock and I had planned to be in the library at ten. Oh. Grabbed a coffee and fled to the DLR which delivered me into town with aplomb, but no panache.

I walked through Russell Square, which was a mistake as I gave in to the temptation to sit on a bench in the sun. A good place to have a read, eat a sandwich, watch a squirrel, take a bite out of my book, read a sandwich and eat a squirrel. Sarah Waters is relevant to my Victorian module, but it seems like too much of a good read to be true. Nothing like a good old Victorian lesbian romp to get you in the mood.

Finally, I made it to the library and waded through some seriously academic articles which had my head lolling about like a bladder on a stick. But I stayed with it and made it through to the other side. A shedload of Vasari, and other odds and sods...and five hours later its lecture time. And what a rollicking rollercoaster of a lecture it was. I really enjoyed it - the time flew by. This is a good thing. I dropped my ton of books back at the library and headed home with a lightness of step, thinking about Mannerism and lasagne.

No comments: