Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mint sauce

It must have been something I drank, but I was a little slow to get started today - although a my zombie-like status is not permitted to stand between Jude and her 6.30am walkies. Domestic duties included washing, general paperwork (how little money haven't I got?) and a whizz around Asda sniffing-out dented-tin bargains - Waitrose just a sepia-tinted memory now. At four I set off for Birkbeck Library and browsed amongst the art sections before walking in the rain to Senate House for a tour of that library. What an extraordinary place. One of the librarians had gone to the considerable trouble of putting together a small exhibition of some seriously interesting and rare art books - 19th Century first editions with engravings by such luminaries as William Blake. Afterwards we were taken up cramped stairways to the lofty library rooms with the largest collection of art books I've ever seen and lots of nooks and crannies with reading desks.

Library tour over, I marched back to Holborn and took the Central Line to Shepherd's Bush. A swift pint of O'Neills (lovely pub...not) and then to the Shepherd's Bush Empire for Lambchop. I had only ever stood on the main floor at this venue, so it was an experience to be elevated to the seated section - which is appropriate for this band believe me. When we took our seats there was a heck of a racket coming from the stage - all a bit experimental - and we hoped it was the support act - but no, just the opening passage before the arrival of Kurt and we were soon back on familiar territory. I think it is true to say that a Lambchop gig attracts a certain crowd which it would be improper to describe as trendy. There was much beard-stroking and enthusiastic applauding - also much toilet visiting which gives an indication of the 'certain-age' of your regular Lambchop fan. Karen's verdict: lush. I agree.

1 comment:

Johnny Ong said...

new blog?